Smithsonian magazine 18th Annual Photo Contest
Published: Monday, 5 April 2021
30 November 2021
Who may enter
The competition is open to anyone aged 18 or over.
The contest is organised by Smithsonian magazine.
There are 6 categories:
• Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
• Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
• People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
• The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
• Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects.
• Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2019.
The competition is free to enter.
• Grand Prize: $2,500
• The winners of each of the six categories will receive $500.
• Readers' Choice winner: $500
For further information visit the official competition website.